Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nemo Bottlecap Necklace Tutorial

It is my day on The BugBytes and I am bringing you a quick goody tutorial! Today's installment are the necklaces that I created to go in the birthday goody bags since I was having trouble finding Finding Nemo theme items (oh the irony - it was hard to find Nemo!). For this we chose five of the characters and with some easy steps and almost no time at all I had the necklaces put together. The packaging on the other hand....we'll get to that later, first let me show you the necklaces!






The details: 

I begin by looking up pictures of each character on the computer. I copied them into a Microsoft Word document and in the same document I used a one inch circle shape to make sure each picture was the right size for my bottlecap. Then I printed it out and gathered the rest of my supplies: 
  • Xyron
  • One Inch Circle punch
  • Recollections brand Bottlecaps
  • Jewelry Findingsand Pliers
  • Ball Chain Necklaces purchased from Creative ID Supply
  • Clear Epoxy Stickers purchased from Beadaholique


I gathered all my supplies and begin by centering the circle punch over the printed image. 

After punching the image out, I ran them throught my Xyron machine and then added the epoxy sticker on top before I remove it from the Xyron backing. This made it easier to burnish the sticker over the top and get a good seal on it. 

Then you peel it off the backing, add to the center of  bottlecap, add your finding and chain necklace!

These really are super easy to put together - I put together 25 necklaces in less than half an hour. So if you do this - stop now. Do NOT do the next step unless you are a glutton for punishment. 

I cut a shadow image of each character at 3 inches and added two circles from George on each cut. Then I threaded the necklace through the holes. 

Then I used a piece of double sided sticky tape to position and hold the necklace in place. 

Then I piled the rest of the necklace on and sealed it with packing tape. 

And they were all done and ready to be presented!

But in all honesty - the packaging was a HUGE pain in the hiny and I don't know if I would do it again. Sometimes I am my own worst crafting enemy. I DO however recommend investing in the necklace supplies as a quick and easy party treat - just stop when they are done! The next Nemo installment will be about how I turned a negative cut into a positive!

5 comments:

  1. This is great idea.Have never seen a bottlecap used as a necklace before. The nemo necklace turned out so cute. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really cute idea and easy (without the packaging). I would definitely do it WITHOUT the special packaging....now if only my kids would give me a grandchild or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! Thanks for the tutorial. I haven't tried bottle caps yet!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay my daughter has been asking about making these and now I know right where to go when we have some time to do it. Awesome
    http://coolbeansbylb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete