Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sour Cream Containers + Shrinky Dinks = Great Baby Shower Favor

If you read the yesterday's post you will know what I am talking about. If not, ketchup!! Man I crack myself up sometimes! (this usually means I should have been in bed long ago.)

I tried to respect my friend's wishes about her anti-shower but I mean c'mon........who doesn't like an excuse to make favors?? and since I now feel compelled to add shrinky dinks into my projects when I can, I thought about making some charms. And what can you add charms to?? How about sour cream containers??

If you have never made them, sour cream containers are very easy to make. Okie has a great video tutorial you can watch on this link.  Mine were a little on the small side since I don't have a lot of paper that is boy themed so I was trying to get 6 out of a sheets of 12x12 paper. If my friend had been cooperative and was having a girl we would have been all set (as I have a gamillion sheets of baby girl appropriate paper), but noooooooo.... there is just no accounting for some people.

Where's the project?? Oh you probably want to see it don't you??


The crafty details: 

I chose three designs in New Arrival to use: the onesie, the rattle, and the feet. Pre-shrunk they were cut at 3 inches. The feet required some overlapping and welding to get them to be in the same cut, but it worked out well in the end. I drew them first with my cricut markers, cut using max pressure, blade depth 6 and multi-cut twice, and then colored them in with my watercolor pencils. Then it was into the toaster over for shrinking, and I added two jump rings to each so that they could be attached by brad to the containers. The shrinky dink material was NOT my friend on this particular occasion but I made it work eventually!

I cut a scalloped circle from Mini Monograms (I would so be lost without that scalloped circle! worth buying the entire cartridge for!!) at 2 inches and ran it through my Cuttlebug with the Swiss Dots folder. I assembled my containers, adding some M&Ms, then used my Big Bite to punch a hole in the container, added the tag with the shrinky dink and fastened with the jewel brad and they were all done!

These really are a sweet treat that is as simple or as complicated as you want to make your tag, and they were a bit hit at our girls night dinner. Up tomorrow is that baby themed container I teased you about yesterday.

2 comments: