Friday, December 9, 2011

Holiday Blog Hop & Snow Globe Ornaments

Hello all! Today is the Holiday Blog Hop for the BugBytes Design Team. This is your last stop on the hop and you should have arrived here from Melissa's blog, and when you are done, make sure to go back to Pam at TheBugBytes so that you can add your holiday project to the linky! If you are joining this party already in progress you can also start the hop with Pam's blog!

Apologies to my regular followers for being a bad blog mommy lately and neglecting my blog, I have projects done just no time to write the posts! And more apologies to the hoppers because I really love this project but it totally does not meet the requirements of having red or green or silver or blue. So what my migraine medicine is telling me is that I should go with my inner lawbreaker and say since there is purple in this project and red + blue = purple then this project qualifies. Yeah - let's go with that!!





The details: 

This is a snowglobe ornament that I picked up at Michael's  - they come in two pieces and allow you to place something in the middle. I decided that they were dying to be made into snowglobes and I have had this idea for a long time - so glad it actually worked out! This is also another one of my "recycling" projects because I used my cartridge clamshells as the center of the ornament! (I have a few clamshell pieces....or perhaps a alot). My original photos are taken on my daughter's purple Christmas tree so I thought I would take some without the distracting background so the directions would be clearer.

 I cut a 3.05 inch circle out of the clamshell using my Gypsy - and yes it has to be that size - 3 inches is too small and 3.10 is too big and then placed a 2 inch snowman from Winter Frolic cut in vinyl with some of the layers on one side of the plastic circle. I flipped the image and all the layers and placed the other snowman on the other side of the plastic circle, layering it as exactly as I could over the first snowman. I stamped two different snowman faces using my Peachy Keen Stamps and Stazon ink and colored in the nose with an orange sharpie. I felt like he needed some bling and I especially appreciated I could use two different kinds - one for each side! Who wants buttons when you can have MS mini bling??

I added some Martha Stewart snowflake glitter to one half of the ornament, placed the circle over it, added glitter to the other half and sandwiched them all together. I did add some glue to the inside rim but I am not sure a) that it was necessary or b) that it really worked. Since this was going in my daughter's room I mixed some glow in the dark glitter with the snowflake glitter too, but you can only see it when the lights are out. Oh well - it was still fun!

This project just reinforced my love of vinyl + acetate - they are a match made in crafting heaven! My only regret is I only bought two of these ornaments which means a trip to Micheals is now a necessity and I don't know when I will have the time! I will strive to post my other snowglobe ornament next week.

Make sure you go back to Pam at TheBugBytes and particpate in the linky party! And in case you need it, here is the full blog hop list:

  1. Pam 
  2. Jeannie  
  3. Jen 
  4. Carole
  5. Lisa Brooks 
  6. Audrey  
  7. Mila
  8. Sheila aka sassylady 
  9. Elizabeth 
  10. Kelly Millet 
  11. Dayna Sabrina 
  12. Lori   
  13. Denine Vajja
  14. Melissa 
  15. Allison - you are here! :)    


I hope you found lots of inspiration and have a wonderful holiday season! Happy crafting!




22 comments:

  1. How did you know I collect snow globes? This one is so very cute! Think I'll go find some clear bulbs and snow....TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun project! Well done!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute ornament. Love how you recycled those clamshells. Great instructions on making the lovely thing. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute Allison. I still don't understand how the snowman got inside. You are going to have to explain that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Allison and I did some double checking and you are in the clear my dear, here's Pam's own words and do you notice the big bold OR yep your cultural holiday item makes you fall within the rules LOL
    "The challenge is to do a holiday theme of this month - any of your own cultural holiday or use the colors red or green or silver or blue."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your globe ornament. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just too stinkin' cute! I really like it

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute!!! Your snow globes are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just have to say....I totally love your logic on the colors!!! This is a gorgeous ornament and it seems like you have blue mittens on your snowman, so that qualifies :)

    Glad to be in this hop with you and I hope your headaches go away soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allison, every blog hop needs a rule bender..... and I think you are the perfect person to play the role. But you do have the blue mittens on the snowman so you are saved by that stroke of luck! This project is adorable and I especially like it on the purple tree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute snow globes!!!

    plese.cathy at yahoo dot com
    happyscrapin@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The globe is so doggone cute. Great job. Tanks fo all the fun.
    marg0006@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a cool project.

    Rebecca
    brrck@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Allison, just popped over to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas, and a happy new year - adorable ornament!
    hugs
    Enfys xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw your post on the Bugbytes for "another" ornament so I had to come over here to see the original ornament! I just love this idea! I am sure the kids think they are magical too!

    Merry Christmas!
    Nadia

    ReplyDelete